Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mysteries Solved!

Yesterday, I had another appointment chez l’orthopédiste. I have a follow-up appointment in very early January and will start working with Peace Corps Headquarters on the reinstatement process. Fingers crossed!

One theme of the past week has been realizing that
- I learned from a bande-annonce (movie trailer) that the Narnia title “Voyage of the Dawn Treader” is pronounced like the verb “to tread,” as in the famous Gadsen Flag slogan “Don’t Tread On Me!” For some reason, I always thought it was pronounced “treeder.”
- I read an article about couches. In French, the noun couche, can mean many different things depending on the context - layer, bed, covering. Dear readers, I kept waiting for the reference to layers before realizing that the authors meant “sofas”.
- A song that I was listening to included the word tilleul. Heading over to my trust WordReference, I discovered that un tilleul is a lime tree. I honestly can never remember having ever thought or talked about lime trees in my life. Curioser and curioser, the song mentioned falbala, which translates to “furbelow.” According to Dictionary.com, a furbelow is a ruffle, flounce or other ornament on a woman’s skirt and entered the English language via, you guessed it, early modern French.

Que vous aussi trouviez la solution d’un mystère! (May you also solve a mystery !)

1 comment:

  1. One of the bus stops on the route that took me to my villages in Douai was called "Les Tilleuls"...let's be honest, I never saw a single lime tree up north, haha

    ReplyDelete